Saturday, March 16, 2013

Leaving Tipperary

And ya gotta have an emigration song, though my favorite version of this one is not on the YouTube
 

This has a curious relationship to the Spiral Arm, since a version of it appears in -- ta-daa -- On the Razor's Edge. The words in that case are:
“The Ship she lifts in half an hour to cross the starry heavens.
My friends are left behind me now with grief and sorrow leavened
I'm just about to slide away in the liner Kat’kutirai
It's disengaged and the hatch is sealed, I'm leaving dear old Terra.”
And it's good-bye, Krish, good-bye, Chang, and good-bye, Mumbai Mary.
She’s disengaged and the hatch is sealed, I'm leaving dear old Terra.
And now the Alfvens’ grabbing space, I have no more to say.
I’m bound for the Periph’ry, boys, a thousand lights away.
 “Then fare you well, old Terra dear, to part my heart does ache well.
From old Kamchatka to Cape Fear, I'll never see your equal.
Although to half-formed worlds we're bound where wild beasts may eat us
We'll ne’er forget the Holy Ground – the daal and beans and taters.”
“And it's good-bye, Krish…

1 comment:

  1. While preparing the corned beef and cabbage feast, which involves a good bit of sitting around, read these St. Patrick's Day posts and played the songs for my wife, who is 3/4 Irish (The Taaffes of county Louth figure into it prominently somehow). Thanks, set the mood nicely.

    And how utterly American to have the 1/2 Bohemian, 1/2 mutt Husband prepare American foods largely unknown to the real Irish to honor the patron of 3/4 of his wife's ancestral homelands. Accompanied by Irish beer (not green! for the sake of all that is holy!) and followed up with Irish coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Wonder and Anticipation, the Likes of Which We Have Never Seen

  Hello family, friends and fans of Michael F. Flynn.   It is with sorrow and regret that I inform you that my father passed away yesterday,...